Vegan Chocolate-Dipped Soft Pretzel Recipe
We love the chewy results of this vegan soft pretzel recipe. It’s delicious enough to eat the pretzels on their own, but why not take it over the top? You’ll love the crunch of sea salt sprinkled over the soft pretzel. The not-too-sweet richness of Supplant dark chocolate puts a sophisticated twist (see what we did there?) on this favorite midway snack.
We like our soft pretzels drizzled with Supplant dark chocolate. You could also use any of the Supplant chocolate bar flavors to suit your preference. The toppings are entirely up to you and your imagination. We like jazzing up this vegan pretzel recipe with chopped nuts, sprinkles, or freeze-dried fruit bits. You could also try dry cereal bits, small candies, Maldon salt, or even a caramel drizzle for extra decadence.
Whatever you try, the fun comes from the creative combinations of chocolate and topping, so feel free to let your imagination take over!
For the Pretzels:
1 ½ cups lukewarm water
2 ¼ tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 TB brown sugar
1 TB melted vegan butter
4 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
Coarse sea salt or kosher salt for topping
For the Baking Soda Bath:
½ cup baking soda
9 cups water
For the Chocolate Dip:
1 bar Supplant Dark Chocolate (or your preferred flavor)
Chopped pistachios, sea salt, freeze dried strawberries, sprinkles, or other toppings
1) Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
2) Combine yeast and water, then whisk in salt, sugar, and melted butter.
3) Add 3 cups of flour, one at a time, mixing until dough is thick.
4) Add up to 1 cup more of flour, until the dough is no longer sticky and bounces back when poked.
5) Knead dough on a floured surface for a few minutes, form into a ball, and let rest for about 10 minutes, covered lightly.
6) Prepare baking soda bath by bringing water and baking soda to a boil.
7) Cut dough into 1/3 cup sections. Roll each section of dough into a rope about 22”-24” long. Form ropes into circles and twist into pretzel shapes.
8) Drop pretzels, one or two at a time, into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds each. Scoop out of the water with a slotted spatula, and let drain before placing on baking sheet.
9) Sprinkle each bathed pretzel with coarse sea salt. Repeat until all pretzels are bathed.
10) Bake trays of pretzels for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
11) Once pretzels are cooled, melt Supplant chocolate in a bowl over hot water or in the microwave. Dip each pretzel into the chocolate as deep as you like, then dip into your favorite toppings.
12) Allow to cool before serving — if you can wait!